Elections & Democracy
Zambia opposition rejects militia claims after arrests
Zambia's main opposition NRPUP party on Monday rejected government claims that its members were involved in militia or insurgent activity after police arrested 11 people around last week's election.
A cabinet statement late Sunday said police had arrested 11 people, including opposition figures, in a raid on August 13, the day of the vote. It said the operation targeted a suspected militia posing a serious threat to state security.
The NRPUP, led by former government minister Brian Mundubile, said the raid was at his home and happened on August 14, the day after the election. The party said shots were fired and a parliamentarian was struck.
The party said it rejected as false the government's claims that the NRPUP, its leadership or its members had been involved in insurgency, militia activity or related conduct.
The cabinet said some of those arrested were connected to military plans involving foreign nationals and illegal military training camps. It said the individuals were found with high-grade military weapons, ammunition and other materials for use in armed insurrection. It listed six opposition figures as charged and in custody.
Thursday's elections were largely peaceful, but the run-up was marred by opposition claims of intimidation, arrests, abductions and violence. Partial results from late Sunday showed President Hakainde Hichilema with nearly 60 percent of votes after ballots from 135 of 226 constituencies had been counted. A candidate needs more than 50 percent to win outright or face a run-off.
Uncertainty notes
The government and the NRPUP gave different dates for the raid: August 13 and August 14.
The militia and insurgency allegations are disputed by the NRPUP.
The presidential result was not final in the supplied information.
Source
AFP news report published on .