Conflict & Security
Yemen risks full-scale war, UN rights chief warns
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk warned Monday that escalating hostilities and a rising civilian toll in Yemen risk pushing the country back into full-scale conflict.
Turk urged all parties to de-escalate, spare civilians and immediately halt actions that could return Yemen to full-scale war. The warning came as renewed fighting between Houthi rebels and the Saudi-backed government has undermined a 2022 truce.
The UN rights office said at least seven civilians had been killed and 10 wounded in Houthi attacks on government-controlled areas since August 6. It said two civilians were reported injured in Houthi-held areas in late July.
A military source said Houthi rebels launched their deadliest attacks in years earlier this month, killing 58 government troops, mainly in the oil-rich Marib province. Two civilians were killed the same day in Houthi shelling on residential areas and displacement camps in Marib.
The UN rights office said Houthi missile and drone attacks on the Red Sea port of Mokha on August 9 killed three port workers and injured four others. It said another attack by the group on a cargo ship in the Bab al-Mandeb Strait on August 11 reportedly killed four crew members — three Pakistanis and one Indonesian — and injured several others.
The rights office said civilian sites hit in the attacks included fuel storage facilities and a residential compound at the Saudi Field Hospital in Mokha.
“Attacks on civilian infrastructure risk further deepening civilian suffering at a time when at least 18 million Yemenis are already food insecure,” Turk said. “These attacks must end immediately.”
Update
The UN rights office said at least seven civilians had been killed and 10 wounded in Houthi attacks on government-controlled areas since August 6.
A military source said Houthi rebels killed 58 government troops earlier this month, mainly in Marib province.
The UN rights office said Houthi missile and drone attacks on Mokha port on August 9 killed three port workers and injured four others.
The UN rights office said an August 11 attack on a cargo ship in the Bab al-Mandeb Strait reportedly killed four crew members and injured several others.
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk said attacks on civilian infrastructure risk deepening suffering while at least 18 million Yemenis are food insecure.
Source note: AFP news report published on 17 August 2026 at 12:06:00 UTC.
Update
UN rights chief Volker Turk voiced alarm at the rising civilian toll from escalating hostilities in Yemen.
Turk urged restraint and immediate de-escalation.
The warning was linked to renewed fighting between Houthi rebels and the government undermining a 2022 truce.
Source note: AFP news report published on 17 August 2026 at 11:29:31 UTC.
Uncertainty notes
The cargo ship deaths were described as reported by the UN rights office, not independently confirmed in the material.
The civilian casualty figures from different attacks may overlap and should not be added together unless a source states a combined total.
Source
AFP news report published on .