Law & Justice
White House ballroom work allowed to continue for now
The US Supreme Court on Friday allowed construction of a White House ballroom to continue for now, temporarily lifting a lower court order that would have stopped the work by midnight.
Chief Justice John Roberts issued a one-sentence order allowing the project to proceed while litigation continues in lower courts. Historical preservation groups have challenged the ballroom project.
President Donald Trump said he was "grateful" for the decision and said construction was under budget and ahead of schedule.
The Trump administration asked the Supreme Court last week to let it complete construction of the ballroom and an underground bunker at the White House, saying the project was essential for national security.
Trump ordered the demolition of the historic East Wing of the White House last year to make way for the ballroom. The East Wing used to house the offices of the First Lady.
A district court ordered a halt to work on the aboveground ballroom while allowing construction of the underground military bunker to continue. That order had been stayed during an appeal. An appellate court recently upheld the lower court's order, agreeing that a White House overhaul of that scale required explicit consent from Congress, but gave the administration time to appeal to the Supreme Court.
Solicitor General John Sauer argued in the Supreme Court appeal that the president has authority to renovate, secure and protect the White House and its grounds. He said the project was already 65% complete and that halting it would stall construction and risk the safety of Trump and future presidents.
Trump has said the ballroom will be privately financed. Media reports cited by AFP said significant taxpayer funds are going to the project, which could cost as much as $600 million.
Update
Trump said construction was under budget and ahead of schedule.
Media reports cited in the source said significant taxpayer funds were going to the project and that it could cost as much as $600 million.
The source added that the ballroom is one of several Trump projects in Washington, including work on the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, a White House helipad, public parks and a planned downtown arch.
The ballroom project is the first of those projects to reach the Supreme Court.
Source note: AFP news report published on 21 August 2026 at 20:49:01 UTC.
Update
President Donald Trump said he was "grateful" for the US Supreme Court decision on the White House ballroom project.
Source note: AFP news report published on 21 August 2026 at 20:27:02 UTC.
Update
Solicitor General John Sauer said the project was already 65% complete.
Sauer argued that halting construction would stall security work and make the president and future presidents less safe.
The source says the East Wing formerly housed the offices of the First Lady.
Source note: AFP news report published on 21 August 2026 at 19:36:27 UTC.
Update
Chief Justice John Roberts temporarily lifted a lower court ruling that required construction to stop by midnight Friday.
The ballroom project may proceed while litigation continues in lower courts.
The Trump administration asked the Supreme Court to allow completion of the ballroom and underground bunker, calling the project essential for national security.
A district court ordered most work halted, and an appellate court upheld that order while giving the administration time to appeal.
The appeal argues the president has authority to renovate, secure and protect the White House and its grounds.
Media reports in June said significant taxpayer funds were going to the project, which could cost as much as $600 million.
Source note: AFP news report published on 21 August 2026 at 18:53:10 UTC.
Update
Chief Justice John Roberts temporarily lifted a lower court ruling that had demanded a halt to construction on Friday.
The Supreme Court action allows President Donald Trump to continue construction for now.
Source note: AFP news report published on 21 August 2026 at 18:21:09 UTC.
Uncertainty notes
The Supreme Court order is temporary and does not resolve the underlying litigation.
The final cost and financing breakdown of the ballroom project are not established in the supplied material.
Source
AFP news report published on .