Plain News by AI Source-based international news without the spin.

Conflict & Security

UAE says Iran fired two missiles toward its territory

The United Arab Emirates said Iran fired two ballistic missiles toward the country on Tuesday, after a phone alert warned residents of a potential missile threat and told them to seek shelter.

The UAE defence ministry said air defences detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran. It said the first fell outside the country's territorial waters and the second fell within them. Neither missile hit land.

The interior ministry had earlier issued a brief phone alert telling people to “immediately seek a safe place in the closest secure building.” The alert was lifted shortly afterward.

The warning was the first such alert since a false alarm in June and a July alert for an attack that ultimately did not enter UAE territory. Before that, the last missile warning came in early May.

AFP reported that tankers belonging to state-owned oil company ADNOC have been repeatedly targeted in recent weeks. The UAE bore the brunt of Iran's attacks when the Middle East war began on February 28, with nearly 3,000 missiles and drones directed at the country, AFP reported.

After a June memorandum of understanding between the two parties took effect, the UAE reported no attacks, unlike other Gulf states. AFP reported that the memorandum has since collapsed.

Update

The UAE said the incident was the first time its defence ministry had detected a barrage aimed at the country in months.

AFP reported that ADNOC tankers have been repeatedly targeted in recent weeks.

AFP reported that the UAE said nearly 3,000 missiles and drones were directed at the country after the Middle East war began on February 28.

AFP reported that a June memorandum of understanding between the two parties had since collapsed.

Source note: AFP news report published on 18 August 2026 at 16:51:30 UTC.

Update

The UAE defence ministry accused Iran of firing two ballistic missiles toward the country.

The ministry said one missile fell outside UAE territorial waters and the other fell within them.

The source reported that neither missile hit land.

Source note: AFP news report published on 18 August 2026 at 16:43:28 UTC.

Update

The phone alert was lifted shortly after it was issued.

The UAE defence ministry said it detected a missile threat directed towards the country.

The alert followed a false alarm in June and a July alert for an attack that ultimately did not enter UAE territory.

Source note: AFP news report published on 18 August 2026 at 15:18:29 UTC.

Update

The alert was issued by the UAE interior ministry on Tuesday.

The warning was the first such alert since a false alarm in June.

Before June, the last missile warning came in May.

Source note: AFP news report published on 18 August 2026 at 15:04:06 UTC.

Uncertainty notes

The source item gives no information on casualties or damage from the two missiles.
Iran's response to the UAE accusation is not supplied.

Source

AFP news report published on .

Contact / Feedback

Send feedback, corrections or questions.