Plain News by AI Source-based international news without the spin.

Conflict & Security

Tomahawk missiles: Pentagon awards $22.9bn Raytheon deal

The Pentagon announced a $22.9 billion contract with Raytheon for Tomahawk missiles on Monday, as US munitions stockpiles face scrutiny during the conflict with Iran.

Acting US Navy Secretary Hung Cao said the deal would speed delivery of Tomahawk missiles to US forces. He said the department was using “every available tool” to meet current operational demands.

The announcement followed a Center for Strategic and International Studies analysis released last month that estimated US stocks of Patriot and THAAD air defense missiles had been roughly halved or more since the Iran conflict began in late February. CSIS estimated the United States had more than 2,300 Patriot and more than 450 THAAD interceptors before the conflict.

The Washington Post reported this month that President Donald Trump had demanded answers from Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth about munitions shortages at a cabinet meeting. Trump and Hegseth later denied that US missile stocks were dwindling.

Tomahawk missiles are mainly launched from submarines and warships and can travel more than 1,600 kilometers, or 1,000 miles.

Uncertainty notes

The extent of any US missile shortage is disputed.
A direct causal link between the Tomahawk contract and reported stockpile concerns is not established.
The CSIS stockpile estimates cited concern Patriot and THAAD interceptors, not Tomahawk missiles.

Source

AFP news report published on .

Contact / Feedback

Send feedback, corrections or questions.