Plain News by AI Source-based international news without the spin.

Conflict & Security

Thailand south attacks leave two injured, military says

Thailand's military said 51 coordinated arson and incendiary attacks across the country's insurgency-hit south late Saturday left two civilians injured and damaged government property.

The Internal Security Operations Command said incidents occurred from about 8:00 pm to midnight across the southern border provinces. Most were in Narathiwat, where the two injuries were reported and an overnight curfew was imposed. Other attacks occurred in neighbouring Yala and Pattani provinces, ISOC said.

ISOC and local media reports said a local government office building, a 7-Eleven convenience store and a stolen vehicle were burned. Narathiwat Governor Boonchuay Homyamyen told local media on Sunday that authorities were investigating sites including the government office, telecommunications towers and electrical poles.

Boonchuay said no further attacks had been reported on Sunday morning and that he did not have details on the injured. ISOC said a vehicle was stolen from a subdistrict administrative organisation office in Narathiwat during one attack that left the building in flames, and the burned-out pickup truck was later found on a road.

No group had claimed responsibility. Since 2004, more than 7,000 people have been killed in a low-level conflict in Thailand's southernmost provinces, where rebels in the Muslim-majority region have fought for greater autonomy.

Uncertainty notes

Responsibility for the attacks had not been claimed.
Details on the two injured civilians were not available from the Narathiwat governor.
Authorities were still investigating the attack sites on Sunday.

Source

AFP news report published on .

Contact / Feedback

Send feedback, corrections or questions.