Plain News by AI Source-based international news without the spin.

Conflict & Security

Syria's Abu Duhur airfield hit by strikes, source says

Unidentified aircraft struck the out-of-service Abu Duhur military airport in Syria's Idlib province early Tuesday, a security source told AFP.

The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Syrian defence ministry forces were present at the facility, which has been out of service since 2012. The source did not immediately report any casualties.

No side has claimed the strikes. The Israeli military told AFP it had “no comment” in response to an inquiry.

Israel has launched hundreds of strikes on Syria since the December 2024 toppling of longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad by Islamist forces it considers jihadists. A US-led international coalition against the Islamic State group has previously carried out strikes on senior jihadist figures in northwest Syria, and Syria is now part of the coalition.

After taking power, the new authorities in Damascus took control of Abu Duhur airfield. The airfield had been held since late 2018 by Assad's forces, after rebel and jihadist armed factions seized much of Idlib province three years earlier.

Update

A security source said no casualties were immediately reported.

No side has claimed the strikes.

The Israeli military told AFP it had no comment in response to an inquiry.

The source said the facility has been out of service since 2012 and is protected by Syrian defence ministry forces.

The item adds context on previous Israeli strikes in Syria, US-led coalition strikes in northwest Syria and control of the airfield after the change of power in Damascus.

Source note: AFP news report published on 18 August 2026 at 06:37:30 UTC.

Uncertainty notes

The aircraft involved have not been identified.
Responsibility for the strikes has not been claimed or established.
Casualties, if any, were not immediately reported.

Source

AFP news report published on .

Contact / Feedback

Send feedback, corrections or questions.