Conflict & Security
Strait of Hormuz fishermen return despite war fears
Iranian fishermen around the Strait of Hormuz have returned to sea after months of fighting between Iran and the United States disrupted their work, despite fears that clashes could resume.
Mohammad-Amin, a 47-year-old fisherman in Bandar Abbas, said he had been back at sea for about 20 days after more than three months without work. “If we don't go, we will die of hunger and I have three children,” he said.
Iranian media reported that nearly a dozen fishermen were killed off Bandar Abbas and nearby southern islands during months of fighting. Another 17 fishermen from Sistan-Baluchistan province, south of Hormuz, went missing, according to Iranian media.
The waterfront in Bandar Abbas was repeatedly hit during almost 40 days of intense fighting and later sporadic clashes, despite a ceasefire sealed on April 8. Fisherman Hossein said strikes had become frequent around the area where boats were kept.
Iran Daily reported in late July that more than 2,000 fishermen from Hormozgan province lost fishing equipment during the fighting. ISNA news agency reported that hundreds of fishing and trade boats were damaged.
Several fishermen said damaged nets have become a bigger problem since the war. Mohammad-Amin said his nets now often catch on the wreckage of vessels damaged during the fighting and other debris at sea. Hossein said fishermen could not be sure exactly what was catching their nets below the surface.
Bagher Abbaszadeh, whose boat supports his family and four others, said he feared renewed fighting but had no realistic alternative to returning to sea.
The conflict is now centred on the Strait of Hormuz, which has been under Iranian control since the war began. Iran says it will retain control of the strategic waterway and require vessels to seek permission and pay transit service fees, a position opposed by Washington and several regional countries.
Diplomats from Iran and Oman are continuing efforts to reach an arrangement over the strait. Fishermen along Iran's southern coast said they knew little about the negotiations and were focused on whether they could keep earning a living.
Uncertainty notes
The exact underwater objects damaging fishing nets are not confirmed.
The outcome of Iran-Oman efforts over the strait is unresolved.
Fishermen quoted in the item fear renewed fighting, but whether and when clashes may resume is uncertain.
Source
AFP news report published on .