Business & Markets
Premier League chief criticises FIFA World Cup stake plan
Premier League chief executive Richard Masters has criticised FIFA president Gianni Infantino's plan to bring private investment into the World Cup, saying FIFA should not consider selling a stake in the tournament.
Masters told the BBC the issue was a problem of FIFA's making and called it a self-inflicted wound. He said FIFA is a not-for-profit organisation and should hold the World Cup in trust for the future of football.
Masters said England's Football Association had taken the right position regarding Infantino after withdrawing its support for the FIFA president.
Kevin Lamour, who criticised Infantino's plans last month while breaking ranks with senior FIFA directors, left his job as FIFA's chief operating officer on Monday. UEFA has also criticised Infantino.
Infantino is up for re-election next year. Asked about a possible rival, Masters said an emerging unity candidate should have reform of FIFA, and possibly reform of the president's role, on the agenda.
Source
AFP news report published on .