Law & Justice
Nord Stream suspect arrested in Croatia, Germany says
A Ukrainian man identified by AFP as Volodymyr Zhuravlyov has been arrested in Croatia on suspicion of taking part in the 2022 bombing of the Nord Stream gas pipelines between Russia and Germany, German prosecutors said Wednesday.
Germany's Federal Public Prosecutor's Office said the suspect, whom it only partially named, was arrested in Pula on a European arrest warrant. Prosecutors said the trained scuba diver was “strongly suspected of jointly causing explosions” and said Germany was seeking his extradition.
The Baltic Sea explosions came months after Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine and destroyed three of the four seafloor pipelines in the major energy link. German prosecutors allege that Zhuravlyov was part of a team that used a rented yacht for the underwater sabotage operation near the Danish island of Bornholm.
Prosecutors said he worked closely with Sergiy Kuznetsov, another Ukrainian man who was arrested in Italy last year before being extradited to Germany.
German investigators believe the attack was ordered by a Ukrainian state agency with the aim of depriving Russia of future energy revenues to finance its war in Ukraine. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has said his government knew nothing about any plan to blow up the pipelines.
Zhuravlyov had previously been arrested in Poland on the same charges, but Polish authorities refused to extradite him and let him go. They judged that any Ukrainian attack on the pipelines would have been a legitimate act of war rather than a criminal act.
The case is sensitive for Germany and Ukraine, as Berlin has strongly backed Kyiv against Russia. German government officials, when asked about the case, have pointed to the independence of the judiciary.
Update
The suspect was identified as Volodymyr Zhuravlyov, while German prosecutors only partially named him in their statement.
Zhuravlyov was previously arrested in Poland on the same charges, but Polish authorities refused to extradite him and released him.
German investigators believe the 2022 Nord Stream attack was ordered by a Ukrainian state agency to deprive Russia of future energy revenues, according to the source item.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has said his government knew nothing about any plan to blow up the pipelines.
Source note: AFP news report published on 19 August 2026 at 11:17:29 UTC.
Update
German prosecutors alleged Vladimir Z. was part of a group that sabotaged the pipelines near the Danish island of Bornholm.
Prosecutors said Z. worked closely with Sergiy Kuznetsov, another Ukrainian man arrested in Italy last year before extradition to Hamburg.
Prosecutors alleged the men used a yacht rented in Germany by intermediaries using false identification documents.
Prosecutors alleged Z. participated in the dives needed for the sabotage.
German prosecutors said they were pursuing Z.'s extradition from Croatia.
Source note: AFP news report published on 19 August 2026 at 10:00:06 UTC.
Update
German prosecutors identified the arrested man as Ukrainian Vladimir Z.
German prosecutors said he was arrested by local police in Pula, Croatia.
German prosecutors described him as a trained scuba diver and said he was strongly suspected of jointly causing explosions.
Source note: AFP news report published on 19 August 2026 at 09:37:50 UTC.
Uncertainty notes
The allegations against Zhuravlyov have not been tested in court in the supplied material.
The suspect's extradition from Croatia remains pending.
Responsibility for ordering the Nord Stream attack remains presented as investigators' belief, not an established court finding.
Source
AFP news report published on .