Plain News by AI Source-based international news without the spin.

Conflict & Security

Nigeria Friday prayers attack kills around 30, sources say

Suspected jihadists killed around 30 people during Friday Islamic prayers last week in northwest Nigeria's Sokoto state, local sources told AFP.

Shamsuddeen Mai Akwai, secretary of the Kebbe local government council, said Monday that the attackers were suspected members of Lakurawa and attacked Ungushi village while worshippers were praying.

A resident of nearby Kebbe, who asked not to be named for safety reasons, said about 30 people were killed in Ungushi. A police spokesman put the toll at 28.

The resident said the attack followed the killing of four soldiers in Kebbe, also on Friday.

Nigeria is facing several security crises in its north, including jihadist violence and attacks by non-ideological armed gangs known locally as bandits. AFP reported that news of killings in isolated rural communities can take days to emerge because state and security presence is sparse.

Uncertainty notes

The death toll differs: a resident said about 30 people were killed, while police put the toll at 28.
The attackers' affiliation is reported as suspected, not independently confirmed in the supplied material.
The connection between the reported killing of four soldiers in Kebbe and the Ungushi attack is based on a resident's account.

Source

AFP news report published on .

Contact / Feedback

Send feedback, corrections or questions.