Plain News by AI Source-based international news without the spin.

Conflict & Security

Russian drone attack on Kherson bus kills four, Ukraine says

A Russian drone attack on a bus in the frontline Ukrainian city of Kherson killed four civilian passengers and wounded four more on Wednesday, the regional prosecutor's office said.

The prosecutor's office said Russian forces attacked a bus travelling down a street in Kherson with a drone. It said the casualty figures were preliminary.

Kherson governor Oleksandr Prokudin posted images showing the bus with its windows shattered.

Russian forces regularly strike Kherson with drones, and Ukraine says civilians are being deliberately targeted. Earlier this month, Ukraine accused Russia of chasing a man at a street market in Kherson with a remotely piloted FPV drone, calling it a "safari" targeting civilians.

Kherson, in southern Ukraine, had a population of about 280,000 before the war. Russian forces controlled the city from March to November 2022 before being pushed back by a Ukrainian counter-offensive. They are now positioned on the opposite bank of the Dnieper river.

The United Nations has reported an uptick in civilian deaths in the conflict throughout 2026 as the war continues without a peace deal.

Update

Kherson governor Oleksandr Prokudin posted images showing the bus with shattered windows.

The prosecutor's office said preliminary information showed the four dead were civilian passengers.

The item adds context that Russian forces are positioned on the opposite bank of the Dnieper river from Kherson.

The United Nations has reported an uptick in civilian deaths in the conflict throughout 2026.

Source note: AFP news report published on 19 August 2026 at 07:39:39 UTC.

Update

The Kherson bus attack was described by the regional prosecutor's office as a Russian drone attack.

The prosecutor's office said four more people were wounded.

The prosecutor's office said preliminary information showed the dead were civilian passengers.

Source note: AFP news report published on 19 August 2026 at 07:22:01 UTC.

Uncertainty notes

The prosecutor's office described the casualty figures as preliminary.
The source attributes responsibility for the bus attack to Russian forces through Ukrainian officials; no Russian response is supplied.

Source

AFP news report published on .

Contact / Feedback

Send feedback, corrections or questions.