Plain News by AI Source-based international news without the spin.

Conflict & Security

Israel army chief vows to block Syria border threats

Israel's army chief said during a visit to an Israeli-occupied security zone in southern Syria that the military would not allow hostile forces to establish themselves on Israel's border.

Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir told troops on Wednesday that Israel was monitoring changes on the Syrian front and would use its operational capabilities “where and when needed.” He said Israel remained in a multi-front war and had to stay ready because escalation could develop in any arena.

Israeli forces have been stationed in a security zone in southern Syria since the fall of the Assad regime in December 2024. The area was previously a UN-patrolled buffer zone separating Israeli and Syrian forces in the Israeli-occupied Golan since 1974.

Zamir's visit came a day after Israel bombed the Abu Duhur air base in Idlib province in northwestern Syria. The office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accused Damascus of violating an agreement by accepting Turkish troops at the base, but stopped short of acknowledging Israeli responsibility.

Turkey rejected the allegation. US ambassador to Turkey Tom Barrack condemned the strikes as an “unnecessary escalation.” Syria's foreign ministry condemned what it called Israeli airstrikes on the base as an unjustified act of aggression and urged UN Security Council action.

Despite tensions, Israel and Syria's new authorities have held several rounds of direct talks and have agreed to establish an intelligence-sharing mechanism. Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz said last week that Israel planned to keep troops in Syria.

Israel captured most of the Golan from Syria in the 1967 Arab-Israeli War and later annexed the areas under its control, a move not recognised internationally except by the United States and Colombia.

Update

Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir said Israel remained in a multi-front war and had to stay ready because escalation could develop in any arena.

Syria's foreign ministry condemned the strikes on Abu Duhur air base and urged action by the UN Security Council.

The item says Israel and Syria's new authorities have held direct talks and agreed to establish an intelligence-sharing mechanism.

Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz said last week that Israel planned to keep troops in Syria.

Source note: AFP news report published on 19 August 2026 at 16:26:18 UTC.

Update

Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir made the remarks during a visit to an Israeli-occupied security zone in southern Syria.

Zamir said Israel was monitoring changes on the Syrian front and would not allow hostile forces to establish themselves on its borders.

The remarks followed an Israeli bombing of a base in northwestern Syria that drew condemnation from the United States and Turkey.

Source note: AFP news report published on 19 August 2026 at 15:53:01 UTC.

Uncertainty notes

The office of Israel's prime minister accused Syria over Turkish troops at Abu Duhur air base but stopped short of acknowledging Israeli responsibility for the strikes.

Source

AFP news report published on .

Contact / Feedback

Send feedback, corrections or questions.