Plain News by AI Source-based international news without the spin.

Human Rights, Justice & Society

Iran bans YouTube debate show Azad, judiciary says

Iran's judiciary said it has banned the YouTube debate show Azad from broadcasting interviews and opened an investigation after an episode it said contained “false information”.

Mizan Online, the judiciary's news site, said Monday that Azad was considered an unauthorised media outlet because it did not have an official licence from the culture ministry, which oversees media activity in Iran.

Mizan said a judiciary supervision order prohibited the director from carrying out media activity until a licence is obtained. It also said the channel had committed numerous violations of media regulations during its unauthorised operations.

Azad founder and presenter Mehdi Ahmadi said on X that he had been charged with disseminating false information and questioned on Sunday and Monday. He said he was released on bail under a court decision, but that the Azad channel was barred from broadcasting interviews until further notice.

Azad has nearly 160,000 YouTube subscribers and regularly publishes debates on subjects including the Iran-US war, sexual violence, the economy, philosophy and social issues. Its guests have included figures from across Iran's political spectrum, including opposition figures based abroad.

Iran has long kept tight control over media, with journalists requiring authorisation and licences for coverage. YouTube and several other social media platforms have been blocked in Iran for years, requiring users to rely on virtual private networks to bypass restrictions.

Uncertainty notes

The specific content of the Azad episode at the centre of the investigation was not detailed.
The duration of the broadcasting ban is unclear beyond “until further notice”.
The final outcome of the case against Mehdi Ahmadi has not been reported.

Source

AFP news report published on .

Contact / Feedback

Send feedback, corrections or questions.