Plain News by AI Source-based international news without the spin.

Disasters & Incidents

Indonesia earthquake kills 53, displaces 12,800

A magnitude 7.7 earthquake near Indonesia's Flores island killed 53 people, injured more than 100 and left 12,800 unable to return home, disaster officials said Monday.

The shallow quake struck early on August 15 just off the north coast of Flores, geological authorities said. Indonesia's national disaster agency said the number of people unable to return to their homes had risen to 12,800 by Monday morning across several towns on the island.

Many residents spent a second night outside because of damage to homes and hundreds of aftershocks. In Mbay, near the epicentre, residents sheltered in makeshift tents made from tarpaulins and poles.

The disaster agency said at least 914 houses were severely damaged and hundreds of others were damaged to a lesser degree. Dozens of public buildings, including schools, health facilities and government offices, were also affected.

Rescue officials said there were no reports of missing people, but search teams were still checking the area by land and air.

The Indonesian Air Force said it was bringing 13 tons of emergency aid, including food, clothing, clean water and medical equipment. Antara state news agency quoted the commander of El Tari Air Base in Kupang as saying helicopters would take supplies directly to survivors in isolated communities.

Some residents said aid had not yet reached them. Save the Children said more than 8,000 children faced safety risks and disruption to their education after the quake.

Indonesia has frequent earthquakes because it lies on the Pacific "Ring of Fire", an arc of intense seismic activity.

Uncertainty notes

Officials said no missing people had been reported, but search teams were still checking the affected area.
The full extent of damage in isolated communities was not yet clear.

Source

AFP news report published on .

Contact / Feedback

Send feedback, corrections or questions.