Plain News by AI Source-based international news without the spin.

Disasters & Incidents

Guinea landfill collapse kills 30, government says

Guinea's government said 30 people were killed when a mound of rubbish at a landfill in the capital, Conakry, collapsed onto neighbouring homes before dawn Sunday after heavy rains.

The collapse happened in the Dar es Salam suburb. Witnesses and district chief Lancine Sylla had earlier told AFP that bodies had been recovered from the site, and Sylla said he feared a heavy toll.

Guinea's minister for territorial administration, Djenabou Toure, visited the site earlier and said she was waiting for search and rescue operations to finish before giving an official death toll.

The government had recently ordered people to leave the area and called for safety measures around the site because of fears of collapses.

Update

Guinea's government said the landfill collapse killed 30 people.

Source note: AFP news report published on 23 August 2026 at 17:00:34 UTC.

Uncertainty notes

The source does not provide further details on the basis of the government's updated death toll or whether search and rescue operations had finished.

Source

AFP news report published on .

Contact / Feedback

Send feedback, corrections or questions.