Conflict & Security
Iran drones target Iraqi Kurdistan PM office: officials
Two explosive-laden drones launched from across the Iranian border targeted the Iraqi Kurdistan prime minister's private office and the home of the autonomous region's intelligence chief overnight, regional authorities said Monday.
Kurdistan Prime Minister Masrour Barzani said on X that an investigation by the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Unit found that his personal office and the home of the head of the Security and Intelligence Agency had been targeted by Iranian drone attacks.
Barzani called the incident “a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the Kurdistan region”.
The regional Counter-Terrorism Directorate said there were no casualties. It said two Hadid-110 explosive-laden drones were launched from across the Iranian border toward Barzani's private office and the residence of the Parastin Agency director.
The Kurdistan region hosts US troops, foreign oil firms and rebels exiled from Iran. Regional authorities say it has been targeted with more than 1,000 attacks by Tehran and pro-Iran armed groups inside Iraq since the start of the Middle East war.
Drones have repeatedly been intercepted over Erbil, the regional capital, while others have struck rebels and US interests. Tehran accuses exiled Kurdish opposition groups of serving Western and Israeli interests. On July 17, drone and rocket strikes killed nine people near Sulaimaniyah in eastern Iraqi Kurdistan.
Update
Kurdistan Prime Minister Masrour Barzani said on X that his personal office and the home of the head of the Security and Intelligence Agency were targeted.
Barzani called the incident a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the Kurdistan region's security and stability.
The item adds context that the Kurdistan region has been targeted with more than 1,000 attacks by Tehran and pro-Iran armed groups inside Iraq since the start of the Middle East war.
Source note: AFP news report published on 17 August 2026 at 09:27:16 UTC.
Update
Authorities said two drones were involved.
The regional Counter-Terrorism Directorate identified the drones as Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones.
Officials said the drones targeted both the Kurdistan region prime minister's private office and the residence of the Parastin Agency director.
Authorities said no casualties were reported.
Source note: AFP news report published on 17 August 2026 at 08:39:02 UTC.
Uncertainty notes
The supplied information attributes the drones' origin and target details to regional authorities and Barzani's statement.
The source does not state whether the drones caused damage.
Source
AFP news report published on .