Disasters & Incidents
China floods death toll rises to 159, CCTV says
The death toll from Typhoon Maysak floods in southern China last month has risen to 159, with 10 people still missing, state broadcaster CCTV reported Friday.
Typhoon Maysak brought torrential rain and severe flooding to Guangxi in July. State media had previously reported 39 deaths in the region.
CCTV said the disaster affected more than 1.65 million people across Nanning and Guigang, two cities in Guangxi. It said both areas had entered the post-disaster recovery and reconstruction phase.
CCTV did not say why the updated death toll was announced about six weeks after the floods.
Twenty-six of the deaths reported in July were linked to a dam breach at Guangxi's Liulan Reservoir.
Uncertainty notes
CCTV did not provide details on why the updated death toll was announced about six weeks after the floods.
Source
AFP news report published on .