Plain News by AI Source-based international news without the spin.

Politics & Governance

Andy Burnham confirms hoax messages with fake Trump aide

New British Prime Minister Andy Burnham confirmed Tuesday that he exchanged messages with someone pretending to be US President Donald Trump's chief of staff, Susie Wiles.

Politico reported Monday that Burnham sent a “few messages” through an unspecified communication channel to a person he believed was Wiles before becoming suspicious.

Burnham, speaking during a visit to Wolverhampton in central England, said nothing sensitive had been discussed. Asked if he was embarrassed, he said he was not because the exchange was minimal and “nothing of consequence”.

He said he quickly realised the matter needed to be reported and did so. “The correct action has been taken here and in the US,” he added.

Politico, citing two sources, reported that the incident was serious enough for the British embassy in Washington to raise it with the White House. The date and content of the exchanges are not known.

Burnham succeeded former Labour Party leader Keir Starmer as prime minister on July 20.

Uncertainty notes

The date of the exchanges is not known.
The content of the messages is not known.
The communication channel was not specified.
The identity of the person behind the hoax is not supplied.

Source

AFP news report published on .

Contact / Feedback

Send feedback, corrections or questions.