Plain News by AI Source-based international news without the spin.

Law & Justice

ABC sues FCC over broadcast license threat

Disney-owned ABC sued the Federal Communications Commission in federal court in Washington on Tuesday over a potential threat to its broadcast licenses.

The lawsuit accuses the Trump administration, acting through the FCC, of waging what ABC calls a retaliatory campaign because it disapproves of what the network broadcasts. ABC says the alleged attacks have escalated into demands that it be stripped of broadcast licenses because of its speech.

The case follows an FCC request earlier this year for Disney-owned TV stations to renew their broadcast licenses earlier than scheduled. ABC's suit says the current threat concerns the licenses of eight ABC Owned Stations.

ABC alleges that the timing of the review shows the FCC's purpose is to coerce and retaliate against a network that refuses to follow the administration's demands.

President Donald Trump has criticised ABC on several occasions, particularly late-night host Jimmy Kimmel, and has suggested removing broadcast licenses.

Update

ABC's lawsuit says the present threat concerns the broadcasting licenses of eight ABC Owned Stations.

The FCC earlier this year asked Disney-owned TV stations to renew their broadcast licenses earlier than scheduled.

ABC alleges the timing of the early review shows the FCC's purpose is to coerce and retaliate against the network.

President Donald Trump has criticised ABC and late-night host Jimmy Kimmel and suggested removing broadcast licenses.

Source note: AFP news report published on 18 August 2026 at 14:07:40 UTC.

Uncertainty notes

The outcome of the lawsuit is unresolved.
The FCC's response to the lawsuit is not included.

Source

AFP news report published on .

Contact / Feedback

Send feedback, corrections or questions.